Shoulder & Elbow Injuries
The shoulder is one of the most complex parts of the body. It is ranked as one of the most mobile joints in the body with large ranges of movement and is therefore prone to injury. Shoulder injuries may result from a traumatic event such as a dislocation or subluxation, or from overuse or degeneration such as many atraumatic rotator cuff problems. Like the shoulder, elbow injuries can occur following a traumatic episode or through overuse/repetitive strain.
Our Physiotherapists can accurately assess, diagnose and develop a treatment plan to get you back to what you love doing most. Whether you are an athlete who has injured their shoulder/elbow out on the sporting field, or you’ve been struggling with a long-term niggle and have pain working overhead, we can help you out!
We utilise the latest evidence-based research in our treatment and assessment of shoulder/elbow injuries. We use both manual therapy and strengthening exercises to produce the best outcome possible. Despite what your scans say, we are confident we can help your move better and feel stronger.
Common Shoulder/Elbow Presentations We Manage:
- Rotator Cuff Tears (partial and full-thickness)
- Shoulder Instability/Subluxation
- Acromioclavicular (AC) Joint Injuries
- Labral Injuries (SLAP Tear)
- Bicep Tendon Injuries/Bursitis
- Adhesive Capsulitis (Frozen Shoulder)
- Muscle Strains
- Tennis/Golfers Elbow
- Nerve Entrapment
- Joint Sprains
- Post Operative Rehabilitation (Rotator Cuff Repair, Shoulder Replacement, Bicep Repair)
Management Principles and Treatment Modalities
- Assessment: we perform a thorough assessment to identify the source and cause of the pain. This includes a detailed history and physical examination (including measuring range of motion and assessing strength deficits using ActivForce Technology), identifying psychosocial factors, and includes an assessment above and below the area of pain.
- Education: we educate you on our diagnosis, the nature of the injury and what to expect. We explain the prognosis and evidence regarding your injury and utilise anatomy programs to assist with your understanding of the injury.
- Manual Therapy/Strengthening: we utilise a combination of manual therapy, soft tissue massage, joint mobilisations, and gentle range of motion exercises to manage pain and restore movement. We then utilise a graded strength program to build resilience and prevent reoccurrence.
- Home Exercise Program: we utilise the Physitrack app that allows us to provide you with a tailored home-based exercise program. This technology allows us to send videos or printouts to your email to follow along at home.
- Sports/Functional Modifications: if necessary we may advise you on any sports-specific or home-based modifications that may be necessary for your rehabilitation process.
- Rehabilitation Equipment: we have access to the latest equipment including Cable Machines, Lat Pull Down, Reverse Pec Machine, Seated Row Machine, Free Weights, Kettlebells, Proprioceptive Equipment, and Blood Flow Restriction Cuffs.
- Referral (if required): we have connections with some of the leading Shoulder surgeons and can refer you if further investigation is required. Additionally, we can refer you to our experienced Exercise Physiologists for an ongoing strengthening program.
Our Unique Advantage
Our unique advantage is our collaborative multidisciplinary team. We are fortunate to have Physiotherapists, Exercise Physiologists, Orthopaedic Specialists, Massage Therapists, and Psychologists, who all work under one roof. This allows us to closely work together to provide our patients with a true collaborative management plan addressing all Biopsychosocial factors. This allows our patients to get access to the leaders in their fields to ensure they get the best care possible.
In addition to this, we have access to an extensive range of specialist equipment in our onsite functional rehabilitation centre. Our fully equipped and functional rehabilitation gym houses specialist equipment which is specific to the rehabilitation of certain injuries. With 35 years of excellent service on the Central Coast, Hills Street Sports Medicine is one of the longest established multi-discipline Sports Medicine Centres in Australia.
Book Online With Ease
Booking a consultation online is simple and easy with our online booking portal. Easily select a practitioner, date and time of your choice.
Get in touch today and we can help you achieve your goals!