Hip & Knee Injuries
Here at Hills Street Sports Medicine, we work very closely with some of the most established Knee and Hip Orthopaedic Surgeons. This has allowed us to gain invaluable knowledge and experience in the treatment and management of these joints. We are recognised by many for our expertise in this area and thoroughly enjoy treating hip and knee-related injuries.
Our Physiotherapists are highly skilled in the management of both traumatic and atraumatic injuries. We strive to firstly have an accurate diagnosis so that the appropriate treatment and management can commence as early as possible to optimise recovery times. Whether you are an athlete suffering from a ligament injury, or a weekend warrior in the garden suffering from osteoarthritis, we can help you get back to what you love!
Hills Street Sports Medicine’s Physiotherapists are expertly trained to diagnose the problem and provide the correct course of management. Most knee/hip injuries require a carefully managed rehabilitation program to ensure a safe and timely return to both sporting activity and day to day living. We are well equipped to provide the necessary environment in terms of professional expertise and exercise equipment to achieve this outcome. We also strive to implement the latest evidence-based practice into our management of these injuries.
Common Hip/Knee Presentations We Manage:
- Hip Osteoarthritis
- Labral Tears/Hip Impingement
- Gluteal Strains/Tendinopathy
- Sacroiliac Joint Pain/Pregnancy Pelvic Pain
- Osteitis Pubis/Pubic Symphysis Injury
- Knee Osteoarthritis
- Ligament Injury (ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL)
- Meniscal Injury
- Patella/Quadricep Tendinopathy
- Post/Pre Operative (Joint Replacement, ACL Reconstruction, Meniscus Repair)
- Patella Dislocation/Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Osgood Schlatters/Fat Pad Impingement
Management Principles and Treatment Modalities
- Assessment: we perform a thorough assessment to identify the source and cause of the pain. This includes a detailed history and physical examination (including measuring range of motion and assessing strength deficits), identifying psychosocial factors, and includes an assessment above and below the area of pain.
- Education: we educate you on our diagnosis, the nature of the injury and what to expect. We explain the do’s and don’ts and utilise anatomy programs to assist with your understanding of the injury.
- Manual Therapy/Strengthening: we utilise a combination of manual therapy, soft tissue massage, joint mobilisations, and gentle range of motion exercises to manage pain and restore movement. We follow this up with the use of our onsite rehabilitation centre to get you strong and build resilience.
- Home Exercise Program: we utilise the Physitrack app that allows us to provide you with a tailored home-based exercise program. This technology allows us to send videos or printouts to your email to follow along at home.
- Sports/Functional Modifications: if necessary we may advise you on any sports-specific or home-based modifications that may be necessary for your rehabilitation process.
- Rehabilitation Equipment: we have access to the latest equipment including Pilates Reformers, Leg Press Machines, Leg Extension and Hamstring Curl Machines, Total Gym Tower, Free Weights, Squat Rack, Cardiovascular Equipment (bike, treadmill, elliptical, assault bike, rowing machine), and Blood Flow Restriction Cuffs.
- Orthotics/Taping (if required): we may utilise orthotics and taping as an adjunct to our treatment to improve biomechanics and provide pain relief while we get you stronger and more mobile.
- Referral (if required): we have connections with some of the leading Hip and Knee Orthopaedic Surgeons/Specialists should your injury require further investigation. We also have onsite Exercise Physiologists who can assist in long-term management and prevention through strength and conditioning.
Our Unique Advantage
Our unique advantage is our collaborative multidisciplinary team. We are fortunate to have Physiotherapists, Exercise Physiologists, Orthopaedic Specialists, Massage Therapists, and Psychologists, who all work under one roof. This allows us to closely work together to provide our patients with a true collaborative management plan addressing all Biopsychosocial factors. This allows our patients to get access to the leaders in their fields to ensure they get the best care possible.
In addition to this, we have access to an extensive range of specialist equipment in our onsite functional rehabilitation centre. Our fully equipped and functional rehabilitation gym houses specialist equipment which is specific to the rehabilitation of certain injuries. With 35 years of excellent service on the Central Coast, Hills Street Sports Medicine is one of the longest established multi-discipline Sports Medicine Centres in Australia.
Book Online With Ease
Booking a consultation online is simple and easy with our online booking portal. Easily select a practitioner, date and time of your choice.
Get in touch today and we can help you achieve your goals!