Ankle & Foot
Ankle and foot injuries are extremely common in sports such as netball, basketball and soccer, but may also strike in the simple day to day environment. The most common injury is an ankle sprain where the patient rolls their ankle, tearing ligaments. Treatment and rehabilitation of the ankle needs to be specific and targeted, however, most importantly followed through to the end in order to have a successful outcome. A poorly rehabilitated ankle may result in an increased risk of re-injury and secondary problems.
Foot pain can be caused by both traumatic and atraumatic incidents. An accurate biomechanical assessment is essential due to the complexities of the foot and the surrounding structures that can cause pain. Our Physiotherapists are trained in biomechanical assessment and orthotic prescription using the latest technology (Gait Scan Device).
Common Ankle/Foot Presentations We Manage:
- Lateral/Medial Ligament Ankle Sprains
- High Ankle Sprains (Syndesmosis)
- Achilles Tendinopathy/Rupture
- Tibialis Posterior Tendinopathy
- Avulsion Fracture/Osteochondral Injury
- Plantar Fasciitis/Shin Splints (Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome)
- Lisfranc Injury
- Morton’s Neuroma/Nerve Injury
- Post-Operative Rehabilitation (Lateral Ligament Reconstruction, Lisfranc Repair, etc)
Management Principles and Treatment Modalities
- Assessment: we perform a thorough assessment to identify the source and cause of the pain. This includes a detailed history and physical examination, as well as an in-depth biomechanical analysis. We also examine above and below the area of concern.
- Education: we educate you on your diagnosis, the nature of the injury and what to expect, and utilise anatomy programs to assist with your understanding of the injury.
- Manual Therapy/Strengthening: we utilise a combination of manual therapy, soft tissue massage, joint mobilisations, and range of motion exercises to manage pain and restore movement. This is accompanied by a strengthening/proprioception program to build functional strength and stability.
- Home Exercise Program: we utilise the Physitrack app that allows us to provide you with a tailored home-based exercise program. This technology allows us to send videos or printouts to your email to follow along at home.
- Sports/Functional Modifications: if necessary we may advise you on any sports-specific or home-based modifications that may be necessary for your rehabilitation process.
- Rehabilitation Equipment: we have access to the latest equipment including Pilates Reformers, Calf Stretching Wedges, Gait Scan Orthotic Device, Free Weights, BOSU Balls, and Dura Discs.
- Orthotics/Taping (if required): we may utilise orthotics and taping as an adjunct to our treatment to improve biomechanics and provide pain relief while we get you stronger and more stable. Orthotics have been shown to be effective in the treatment of Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendinopathy.
- Referral (if required): we have connections with ankle/foot Orthopaedic Surgeons/Specialists should your injury require further investigation. We also have onsite Exercise Physiologists who can assist in long-term management and prevention through strength and conditioning.
Our Unique Advantage
Our unique advantage is our collaborative multidisciplinary team. We are fortunate to have Physiotherapists, Exercise Physiologists, Orthopaedic Specialists, Massage Therapists, and Psychologists, who all work under one roof. This allows us to closely work together to provide our patients with a true collaborative management plan addressing all Biopsychosocial factors. This allows our patients to get access to the leaders in their fields to ensure they get the best care possible.
In addition to this, we have access to an extensive range of specialist equipment in our onsite functional rehabilitation centre. Our fully equipped and functional rehabilitation gym houses specialist equipment which is specific to the rehabilitation of certain injuries. With 35 years of excellent service on the Central Coast, Hills Street Sports Medicine is one of the longest established multi-discipline Sports Medicine Centres in Australia.
Book Online With Ease
Booking a consultation online is simple and easy with our online booking portal. Easily select a practitioner, date and time of your choice.
Get in touch today and we can help you achieve your goals!