Back & Neck Injuries
Back and neck pain affects over 90% of the population at some time during their lives.
Back and neck pain is perhaps one of the most common injuries that we treat here at Hills Street Sports Medicine. Back and neck pain can present in many ways and be traumatic, non-traumatic, or non-specific. It is common in both the general public and sporting populations.
We know that back and neck pain can be really quite scary and take your breath away at times. We are confident that we can settle your pain, get you moving more confidently, and most importantly get you stronger to avoid recurrences in the future. Whether you get frequent pain or this is your first experience, we will help you get to the source of the pain and manage it the right way.
The evidence for the treatment of back and neck pain has changed drastically over the years. You can be confident that you will receive the most up to date evidence-based treatment from our Physiotherapists. We encourage an active and exercise-based rehabilitation to back pain, and the evidence shows us that most respond well to this without the need for injections or surgery. Whether you injured your back playing sport, looking after the kids or bending over to put on your shoes, we can help you get back to what you love most.
Common Neck and Back Presentations That We Manage:
- Non-Specific Neck Pain (muscle strains, ligament sprains, joint irritation)
- Acute Wry Neck
- Cervical Disc Pathologies and Nerve Root Compromise
- Cervicogenic Headaches
- Non-Specific Low Back Pain (muscle strains, ligament sprains, joint irritation)
- Post Surgery (Fusion, Laminectomy, Microdiscectomy, etc)
- Lumbar Radiculopathy/Disc Protrusion (Sciatica)
Management Principles and Treatment Modalities
- Assessment: we perform a thorough assessment to identify the source and cause of the pain. This includes a detailed history and physical examination, identifying psychosocial factors, and includes an assessment above and below the area of pain.
- Education: we educate you on our diagnosis, the nature of the injury and what to expect. We explain the do’s and don’ts and utilise anatomy programs to assist with your understanding of the injury.
- Manual Therapy/Strengthening: we utilise a combination of manual therapy, soft tissue massage, joint mobilisations, and gentle range of motion exercises to manage pain and restore movement. We follow this up with the use of our onsite rehabilitation centre to get you strong and build resilience.
- Home Exercise Program: we utilise the Physitrack app that allows us to provide you with a tailored home-based exercise program. This technology allows us to send videos or printouts to your email to follow along at home.
- Sports/Functional Modifications: if necessary we may advise you on any sports-specific or home-based modifications that may be necessary for your rehabilitation process.
- Rehabilitation Equipment: we have access to the latest equipment including Pilates Reformers, Lumbar Extension Machine, Total Gym Tower, Upper and Lower Back Strengthening Machines, Free Weights, Interferential Therapy, and Lumbar/Cervical Traction Machine.
- Referral (if required): we have connections with local Neurosurgeons/Specialists should your injury require further investigation. We also have onsite Exercise Physiologists who can assist in long term back pain management and prevention.
Our Unique Advantage
Our unique advantage is our collaborative multidisciplinary team. We are fortunate to have Physiotherapists, Exercise Physiologists, Orthopaedic Specialists, Massage Therapists, and Psychologists, who all work under one roof. This allows us to closely work together to provide our patients with a true collaborative management plan addressing all Biopsychosocial factors. This allows our patients to get access to the leaders in their fields to ensure they get the best care possible.
In addition to this, we have access to an extensive range of specialist equipment in our onsite functional rehabilitation centre. Our fully equipped and functional rehabilitation gym houses specialist equipment which is specific to the rehabilitation of certain injuries. With 35 years of excellent service on the Central Coast, Hills Street Sports Medicine is one of the longest established multi-discipline Sports Medicine Centres in Australia.
Book Online With Ease
Booking a consultation online is simple and easy with our online booking portal. Easily select a practitioner, date and time of your choice.
Get in touch today and we can help you achieve your goals!